Selvamica / Orvieto in Umbria
Selvamica makes you feel welcome the minute you arrive. Set on a hilltop, with views over the surrounding vineyards and across the rolling green hills of Umbria, this lovely stone farmhouse offers the best of both worlds — a peaceful, rural setting that is just minutes from the marvelous hill town of Orvieto. A charming key holder who speaks fluent English will greet you when you arrive and is available to help with information and reservations to make your Italian villa vacation unforgettable.
Selvamica has been carefully restored to balance the integrity of traditional elements, such as chestnut-beamed ceilings and whitewashed walls, with modern comforts, including some air-conditioned bedrooms and a private pool. Sunny interiors are furnished with comfortable seating and an interesting collection of local antiques and eclectic artwork, painted by the artist-owner or acquired by the owners on their travels across the globe.
The kitchen is the true heart of any Italian home, and Selvamica’s kitchen is exceptional. One of the owners was editor in chief of Food & Wine magazine and loves to cook. She furnished her kitchen to delight anyone who cooks. Even if you never do more than make your morning coffee in this beautiful kitchen, the inspiring view from its windows makes something as mundane preparing your morning cappucino, a delightful way to start your day.
Outdoors there are three separate terraces in addition to the pool area, so there is plenty of space to dine beneath the stars or to find a quiet corner to relax privately or curl up with a book. Bordered by large pots of flowers, each terrace offers a lovely view of the countryside. Flower gardens surround the house, and you are welcome to help yourself to the fruit trees and the vegetable and herb gardens; wild fennel grows right by the front door.
The swimming pool is set on its own terrace, with a pergola for relaxing or dining and chaises with awning covers. Large white umbrellas provide shade, and a fountain flows into an antique stone basin next to the pool.
Everything is so charming and enjoyable, you may find it hard to go sightseeing. But start with your new home town, Orvieto. Its Gothic cathedral is considered the best in Italy. Twice each week, Orvieto hosts a renowned outdoor market. There are pictuesque piazzas, and lovely shops, wine bars and restaurants, including one our our favorites in all of Italy. Explore Estruscan tombs and underground caves. Views range from glances down tiny, ancient lanes to vistas over the ramparts to the valley below.
The location is one of the best for exploring Tuscany and Lazio as well as Umbria. Excellent high-speed rail service can take you to Rome in less than an hour or Florence in two. The Orvieto station is just 15 minutes from the house and has ample free parking. You’ll be delighted to find that Umbria is a hidden treasure, less well-known and with fewer tourists than neighboring Tuscany, with its own charming and interesting hill towns, great art, magnificent scenery — without the crowds.
Selvamica is comfortable in all seasons and is one of our favorite Christmas holiday villa spots because of its excellent heating, large fireplaces, and a famous jazz festival held in Orvieto at the end of December.
CD/stereo with extensive classical music collection, air conditioning in three bedrooms, ceiling fans, window screens, Weber grill, hammock
Ask a question. Share your experience. Write a review.
The Main House (sleeps 7)
Ground floor (sleeps 3)
- Spacious living room with comfortable seating, original artwork, large country fireplace
- Dining room, opens onto tiled covered terrace
- Superbly equipped kitchen with large stove, marble-topped island, two refrigerators, fireplace for grilling and many small appliances to appeal to even the most avid cooks
- Cozy library with fireplace and collection of books on art, history, architecture
- TV/DVD, sound system with large collection of classical music
- Double bedroom with divisible queen bed
- Single bedroom
- Bathroom with shower
- Laundry room with washer & dryer
- Guest bathroom with shower
- Terrace with pergola for al fresco dining
Second floor (sleeps 4)
- Double bedroom (master) with divisible queen bed that opens onto private, furnished panoramic terrace – en-suite bathroom with beautiful windows, large tub and separate shower
- Double bedroom with divisible queen bed – en-suite bathroom with shower over tub
- Bedrooms are screened
- Ceiling fans
- The three double bedrooms are air-conditioned, with individual controls for both air conditioning and heat.
West Wing Apartment (sleeps 4)
A private outdoor staircase leads to a separate apartment located the second floor of the west wing. The apartment is usually rented together with the main house to sleep 11. If the main house is occupied the apartment is not rented separately. Guests renting the main house are assured complete privacy.
Occasionally, the apartment can be rented by itself for up to four people when the owners are in residence in the main house or when the main house is not occupied.
- Living room with fireplace
- Kitchen/dining area
- Double bedroom with divisible queen bed – en-suite bathroom with shower/tub
- Double bedroom with divisible queen bed – en-suite bathroom with shower
- Terrace/BalconyStaff IncludedWine Cellar
- Closest store or village: 6.0 km
- Closest Village/Services
- Pool (unheated)
- TV (satellite)CD Player/StereoVideo Player
- Climate Control
- Air ConditioningCentral HeatWindow Screens
- Great KitchenDishwasher
- Elderly accessibleGround floor bed/bath
Rates and Availability
View availability for
- Minimum Stay
- 1 week
- Arrival Day
|Dates||up to 7p||8 - 11p|
Jan 2 - Mar 25
Apr 2 - Apr 29
Sep 24 - Dec 16
Mar 26 - Apr 1
Apr 30 - Jun 24
Aug 27 - Sep 23
Dec 17 - Jan 6, 2017
Jun 25 - Aug 26
- Linens (towels changed on Wed/Sat)
- Utilities (except heat, A/C included)
- Maid service (3 hrs/day, Mon-Sat)
- Extra bed available upon request.
- Pool towels
- WiFi Internet
- Basic groceries
- Prepared and delivered welcome dinner
- Heat is extra metered and based on consumption at €5/m3.
- Utility deposit for heat of €250 is due upon arrival.
- Telephone is metered and based on usage.
- Additional services are available upon request at an extra fee: cooking, food shopping, childcare.
- Local head tax due in cash in Euros upon arrival.
- Security Deposit
$1,000 payable by check to Doorways and refunded a month after your stay, €300 due on arrival and returned at the end of your stay less any damages or unpaid fees. Total deposit due on arrival = €550 cash + local tourist tax.
- Pool opening dates: May 16 - Sep 19.
- Upon request and approval of the owner a late arrival is possible between 7:00 pm and 9:00 pm for an extra fee of €50.