Il Ciliegio / Val d'Orcia in Siena, Tuscany
Il Ciliegio is, quite simply, one of the most beautiful villas we’ve ever seen. Its dramatic hillside setting, overlooking the famous rolling hills of the Val d'Orcia, foreshadows the beauty of its interior. No wonder it has been featured in books and on the covers of magazines like Architectural Digest and the Italian version of House Beautiful!
The location is conveniently central. S. Quirico, Pienza, and Montelpulciano are just 15-20 minutes’ drive. Florence is 1.5 hrs; Siena, Orvieto and Arezzo are less than an hour; and Montalcino is just 39 minutes. Leave your car in Chiusi (39 minutes) and take a high-speed train to Florence or Rome in a little over an hour. The closest village, Contignano, is 5 minutes away, with its groceries, butcher, bakery, gas station and “pecorino” cheese factory. And there are four spas within 30 minutes of the villa.
Furnishings throughout the house were selected and in many cases designed by the owner’s wife, a celebrated Italian designer who owns a wonderful store in Rome, where you can purchase many of the pieces you see in the house. The attention to detail and comfort is astounding; there is something artfully arranged and beautiful to see in every corner of every room.
Ask a question. Share your experience. Write a review.
- The spacious living room (538 sq ft.) has a large fireplace and French doors leading to the garden. Colorful, comfortable loveseats and chairs are arranged throughout the room, offering multiple conversational seating possibilities.
- Separate dining room has splendid sunset views and can seat up to twenty.
- The kitchen is extraordinary, with a large hearth for grilling, ten gas burners, two large ovens, a microwave, double fridge with ice-maker, and central table for twelve. The housekeeper is a wonderful cook and has been featured in a cookbook on Tuscan cuisine.
The villa has eight spacious, air-conditioned bedrooms, each with its own en suite bathroom and window screens. Il Ciliegio can accommodate eight couples plus three children. Additional infants and very young children can be accommodated in any of the villa’s spacious bedrooms by adding a cot or crib. These include:
- Master suite with a king bed, very spacious, with study and sitting areas and en suite bath (large stone tub with wall-mounted shower)
- Three bedrooms with king beds and en suite baths (shower over tub, wall-mounted shower)
- Bedroom with a king bed and an en suite bathroom with walk-in shower
- Double with en suite bathroom with walk-in shower
- Twin room with en suite bath (shower over tub, shower is wall-mounted)
- Bedroom that sleeps up to five and is great for kids or for parents with children
- Single bed at floor level
- In the loft, two twins and a queen bed.
- Entertainment center (TV, DVD, etc) and en suite bathroom with walk-in shower.
- Three acres of watered lawn and orchard contain:
- An ancient stone-paved sheltered dining patio for twenty with built in BBQ and large wood-burning brick oven for baking pizzas, lasagnas and meats.
- Second patio is perfect for drinks at sunset
- A solar panel-heated infinity swimming pool (13x 66 feet /4x20 meters) which seems to melt into the rolling hills beyond. The solar panels heat naturally to 28/30°C (82/86°F) in summer or 24-26°C (75/79°F) in the mid seasons, depending on the weather.
- Separate hot tub for six, jet stream.
- Vegetable and flower garden for guests' use
- Terrace/BalconyStaff IncludedWine Cellar
- Walk to village/services
- Closest store or village: 2.0 km
- Closest Village/Services
- Heated PoolHot Tub/Jacuzzi
- TV (satellite)CD Player/StereoVideo Player
- Climate Control
- Air ConditioningCentral HeatWindow Screens
- Great KitchenDishwasherMicrowave
- Child friendly
Rates and Availability
Calendar available on request. Please inquire.
- Minimum Stay
- 1 week
- Arrival Day
Jan 2 - Mar 26
Oct 8 - Dec 16
Mar 26 - May 27
Sep 3 - Oct 7
Dec 17 - Jan 6, 2017
May 28 - Sep 2
- All services will be provided by independent agencies.
- Security Deposit
$3,500 payable in advance to Doorways and refunded a month after your stay less any damage or unpaid fees.
|Quirico, Pienza, and Montelpulciano||20 min|
|Siena, Orvieto and Arezzo||1 hr|
|Florence and Rome||1 hr|
|Four spas||30 min|