Borgo Bernardini / Near Lucca in Tuscany
Borgo Bernardini, a former hamlet tucked away among the gently folding Lucchese hills, provides a gracious and luxurious Tuscan retreat.
Originally a hunting lodge, where noble guests of the Count Bernardini resided while engaged in the time-honored contest between man and beast, the borgo later was used as lodging for the count's multitudinous staff.
The attention paid to the renovation of Borgo Bernardini has rendered it truly magnificent — a magical oasis. Rambling old walls surround weeping willows, fountains and formal gardens. A gorgeous floodlit salt water swimming pool and ample area for outdoor barbecuing and dining promise many pleasant hours spent under the Tuscan sun. There are numerous sitting areas and a courtyard for dining al fresco, most notably the gracious table near the magnificent peschiera, a goldfish pond on grand scale complete with flowers in terra cotta pots, waterlilies, and fountains with lights at night.
In the immediate area you will find tennis facilities, horseback riding stables and a golf driving range (with full golf courses located in nearby Montecatini or Versilia). The location is convenient to the beaches of the Versilian Riviera (1/2 hour), splendid hiking in the Cinqueterre (1 hour), and to nearby Lucca, as charming a medieval town as any in Italy, offering Romanesque churches, exquisite gardens, wonderful restaurants and elegant shops. It also draws music lovers, as Puccini was born here. Stroll, bike, or picnic on Lucca's ramparts, a series of surrounding walls originally constructed in Roman times. From atop the walls on a clear day you can see the Apuan Alps.
Fully air-conditioned and heated throughout, the villa has a central music system and many CDs are provided, but some guests may prefer to hear the tinkling of keys on the beautifully restored 1890 Steinway.
Full staff is provided, including daily housekeeping and chef services for breakfast and your choice of lunch or dinner, gardener, pool attendant, concierge on call.
Ask a question. Share your experience. Write a review.
- Twelve uniquely decorated double bedrooms (8 have queen beds and 4 have twin beds that can be joined as queens), each with its own en suite bathroom (4 have Jacuzzi tubs), individual temperature control, music system and telephone.
- Many receptions rooms and living areas, including a domed music room, sun lounge with library, formal living room with satellite TV/DVD and doors leading out to the ornamental pond and fountains
- Banquet hall (seats 24), card and billiard room, wine tasting room with a private selection of Tuscan wines
- Fully equipped Tuscan kitchen
- Guest office with centralized music system, computer facilities, wireless internet access
- Security system
- Fitness room with cardiovascular and weight equipment
- Additional rooms: laundry room and four powder rooms.
- Floodlit swimming pool (8m wide x 16m long x 1-2m deep)
- Italian gardens (2,000 sq m) with gazebo, ornamental fish pond, fountains
- Terrace/BalconyStaff IncludedWine Cellar
- Near Beach Walk to village/services
- Closest store or village: 2.0 km
- Closest Village/Services
- Pool (unheated)
- TennisGolf (within 30 minutes)Gym/Workout AreaHorseback Riding (nearby)
- TV (satellite)CD Player/StereoVideo Player
- Climate Control
- Air ConditioningCentral Heat
Rates and Availability
View availability for
- Minimum Stay
- 1 week
- Arrival Day
Jan 7 - Mar 31
Oct 28 - Dec 15
Apr 1 - Apr 7
Apr 22 - Jun 2
Sep 30 - Oct 27
Apr 8 - Apr 21
Jun 3 - Sep 29
Dec 16 - Jan 5, 2018
- Daily chef service for preparation of breakfasts and 1 meal (either lunch or dinner) 6 days a week (except Wednesday) (cost of groceries & beverages not included)
- Daily maid service in the morning 6 days a week (Off Sunday)
- Daily concierge service on call and on site 6 days a week (Off Wednesday)
- Daily pool attendant and gardeners service 5 days a week (Off Sunday and Monday)
- Utilities (including heat, A/C, water, gas & electricity)
- WiFi Internet
- Grocery shopping service (guests pay food and beverage receipts)
- Local head tax due in cash in Euros upon arrival.
- Additional services available upon request at an additional fee: activities and excursions, additional chef, maid and concierge services, driver service, cost of food and beverages (guests will be charged 10 euro plus VAT tax per person for breakfast and 35 euro plus VAT tax per person for lunches or dinners, wine and spirits, telephone (metered & based on usage) & linen changes.
- Security Deposit
$6,000 payable by check to Doorways, returned a month after your trip minus any damages or unpaid fees.
|Versilian Riviera||30 min|