Vespucci Apartment / Central Florence
The Vespucci apartment is located on the second floor of a 19th century palazzo in the classical Florentine style. There is an unsubstantiated legend that the palazzo was built by the maharaja of Kolhapur, who visited Florence and died there around 1870.
This elegant apartment in the heart of Florence overlooks the Arno and is just one block downstream from the Excelsior and Grand Hotels. From here, it’s just a 5-10 minute walk to the Uffizi, the Duomo, Santa Maria Novella and the city’s main attractions. Just behind the apartment is the Borg’Ognissanti, one of Florence’s most elegant shopping streets for antiques, leather and linens. The main city park, the Cascine, with tennis courts and swimming pools, is ten minutes away. Many of Florence’s celebrated restaurants are right in the neighborhood, and if you want to cook at home you have a full modern kitchen and wonderful butchers, bakeries, fruit and vegetable vendors, and a fishmonger nearby. The main city food market at San Lorenzo is ten minutes away on foot.
The building has an elevator. Views include the Oltrarno area of the city, where the Pitti Palace is located, as well as Brunelleschi’s Santo Spirito, and beyond, the Belvedere Fortress and the Bellosguardo hill, dotted with ancient villas with olive groves, vineyards, and 600-year-old cypresses. To the left, you can see the palaces lining the Arno and the Ponte Vecchio.
This spacious apartment has more than two thousand square feet of living space—all on the same floor, which is unusual in Florence. On the river side of the apartment are three large rooms—living room, dining room and study—with wonderful views of the Arno and a glimpse of the Ponte Vecchio. The rooms have high ceilings, elegant moldings and period furniture. The bedrooms on the other side of the apartment are on the quiet side of the building, away from the river. There is also an ample terrace on the quiet side that was completely renovated and re-furnished in 2015/2016.
The apartment is best for either two couples or a family of five or more.
There are effective air conditioning units in the master bedroom, the second bedroom, the living room, the study and the dining room, which can cool the entire apartment. A marvelous English-speaking key holder will greet you and be available during your stay for any problems or questions. The whole apartment has been renovated in the last few years and the last room, the master bathroom, is just being furnished now with a high-fashion sink on an antique credenza plus Villeroy & Boch toilet and a towel heater.
Ask a question. Share your experience. Write a review.
- Foyer (18 x 10 ft) with desk, large armoire
- Guest half bathroom with sink and toilet
- Living room with ornate decorative (non-functional) fireplace
- Dining room with decorative fireplace and table (seats 8)
- Study with a comfortable day bed and separate trundle bed. They can be made up as a single, two singles or as a king bed.
- Kitchen with small table (seats 4), dishwasher, washing machine
- Master bedroom (17 x 16 ft) with queen-size bed; faces an interior courtyard that does not have a view but provides air.
- En-suite large master bathroom (7 x 17 ft), with shower and separate tub
- Second bedroom (11 x 10 ft) with queen bed, opens onto the covered terrace in back of the apartment
- Bathroom with shower en suite with the second bedroom
- Extra small bedroom (7 x 17 ft) off the master bedroom with a single bed and a shuttered doorway leading to the covered terrace. Note that this bedroom has no hall access and can only be reached through one of the other two bedrooms.
- Large, attractive covered terrace, comfortably furnished
- Fireplaces are decorative (non-functional)
- Walk to village/services
- Car Free
- Pools nearby in main city park, the Cascine.
- TV (satellite)CD Player/Stereo
- Climate Control
- Air ConditioningCentral Heat
- Child friendlyBuilding elevator
Rates and Availability
View availability for
- Minimum Stay
- 1 week
- Arrival Day
|Jan 1 - Feb 28||$3,346|
|Mar 1 - Oct 30||$3,672|
|Nov 1 - Feb 28, 2018||$3,346|
- Final cleaning
- Local telephone calls
- Long distance telephone calls.
- There will be a weekly charge of €300 per additional person (payable to Doorways) for parties greater than 5.
- For Sunday arrivals there will be an extra charge of €100.
- Local tourist tax of €2.50 per person per day due in cash upon arrival.
- Security Deposit
$500 payable by check to Doorways and returned a month after your stay less any damage or unpaid fees.
|Uffizi, the Duomo, Santa Maria Novella||5 - 10 km|
|San Lorenzo||10 min|