is set among the vineyards and olive orchards
of a typical Tuscan working olive estate. This splendid, recenty converted house dates from the
1600's. It was built for a Cardinal, the villa's original resident, and is set
high on a hill, with a view of Lucca and the
surrounding landscape. Nature lovers will enjoy the walking trails in the local hills and the nearby Cinqueterre. Lucca, a famous and elegant walled city has an amiable small-town atmosphere and distinctive galleries and restaurants,
is just four kilometers away and can be reached by bus. Tennis facilities and a small golf course are nearby;
a restaurant and coffee bar (with bus stop) are about one kilometer downhill from Villa Cardinale. Pisa, Florence, Siena,
Volterra and many other charming Tuscan hill towns are within driving distance for daytrips and Florence is easily reached by rail for bus from Lucca.
Three stories provide spacious and comfortable living space.
Rooms throughout the villa have traditional terracotta floors, beamed ceilings and are elegantly
furnished with family antiques (although beds and mattresses are new).
Guests staying at Villa Cardinale will need a car, even if they plan to use public transportation for some daytrips. There is a large supermarket about five minutes away by car. The villa is set on a hill and although the driveway is paved it is narrow and so is difficult for a large van to navigate. Most guests prefer renting two smaller cars.
floor (sleeps 4):
- Fully-equipped kitchen with white Carrara marble countertops, dishwasher,
stone sink, breakfast table, traditional brick wood oven and modern stove and oven
room with wood-beamed ceilings and partly exposed stone walls with door opening to to pergola
- 1 study with comfortable queen sleep sofa
- 1 bathroom with shower en suite with this study
- Separate little cottage with 1 queen bedroom suite with bathroom with shower; handicapped
accessible, and laundry room with washer
- window screens on the ground floor
- Outdoor drying line
- Furnished pergola
- Parking for 3 cars
Second floor (sleeps 2):
room with fireplace (originally the Cardinal's study)
- Master bedroom with
king-sized bed, beautiful carved marble corner fireplace and lovely views from unique arched windows
- Four steps down to master en suite full bathroom with Jacuzzi tub and separate shower.
floor (sleeps 4+2):
- 1 king bedroom, en suite bathroom with shower
- 1 suite consisitng of a bedroom with twin beds that can be joined to make a queen bed plus a sitting room with comfortable queen sleep sofa and en suite bathroom with shower over tub. Guests staying in the twin bedroom must pass through the sitting room to reach the hall or the bathroom, so the suite is fine for a family with kids or for some friends, but it is not for two couples.
is a large pool with lounges and al fresco dining area, set amongst Luccan
olive groves. There are also several other outdoor areas with table and chairs to better enjoy the views.
Amenities: central air-conditioning, washing machine, satellite TV, telephone, DVD player, WiFi, wall safe
Villa Cardinale is entirely private, with its own entrance gate, own land and olive groves, marble quarries, pool, patio and parking area. For larger groups, Villa Cardinale may be rented along with the accommodations on the adjacent Buonvisi Estate: Villa
Buonvisi and the Vera_One and Vera Three apartments. Together the four accommodations can sleep up to 48 people with three swimming pools.
Prices on request; please inquire.