Sleeps 5+3 in 3 bedrooms/2.5 bathrooms, air-conditioned, with terrace and computer with Internet access, elevator building —
What guests say about this property...The
comfort of a home, with all the attractions just steps away.
D.S. & J.S., Mississauga, Ontario
Map | More Photos | View Availability
This elegant apartment in the heart of Florence overlooks the Arno and is just one block downstream from the Excelsior and Grand Hotels. From here, it's just a 5-10 minute walk to the Uffizi, the Duomo, Santa Maria Novella and most of the city's attractions. Just behind the apartment is the Borg'Ognissanti, one of Florence's most elegant shopping streets, lined with shops selling antiques, leather and linens. The main city park, the Cascine, with tennis courts and swimming pools,
is ten minutes away. Many of Florence's most celebrated restaurants are
right in the neighborhood, and if you want to cook at home, there are wonderful butchers, bakeries, fruit and vegetable vendors, fishmonger, etc. The main city food market at San Lorenzo is ten minutes on foot.
The apartment is located on the second floor
of a 19th century palazzo built in the classical Florentine style. (An unsubstantiated
legend has it that the palazzo was built by the maharaja of Kolhapur, who in any
case at least visited Florence and died there around 1870.) The building has an elevator. Views include the "Oltrarno" area of the city, where the Pitti Palace is located, as well as Brunelleschi's Santo
Spirito, and beyond, the Belvedere Fortress and the Bellosguardo
hill, dotted with ancient villas with olive groves, vineyards, and 600-year-old cypresses. To the left, you can see the palaces lining
the Arno and the Ponte Vecchio.
apartment has more than 2,000 square feet of living space all on the same floor. In the front of the apartment, three large rooms (living room, dining room and study) have wonderful views of the Arno. Rooms have high ceilings, elegant moldings and period furniture. The bedrooms are on the back of the apartment (away from the river, so are on the quiet side of the building.)
- Foyer (18 x 10 ft) with desk, large armoire
- Guest half bathroom with sink and toilet.
- Living room with queen-size sofabed and ornate decorative (non-functional) fireplace
- Dining room with decorative fireplace and table that seats 8
- Study with smaller sofabed
- Kitchen with small table (seats 4), dishwasher, washing machine
- Master bedroom (17 x 16 ft) with queen-size bed; faces an interior courtyard that does not have a view but provides cool air in the summer
- En suite large master bathroom (8 x 17 ft; shower over tub)
- Second bedroom (11 x 10 ft) with double bed; opens onto the covered terrace in back of the apartment
- Small bathroom with shower en suite with the second bedroom
- Extra small bedroom (7 x 17 ft) off the master bedroom with a single bed and a shuttered doorway leading to the covered terrace. Note that this bedroom can only be accessed through one of the other bedrooms because it has no hall access.
- Also in the back of the apartment (away from the Arno) is a very large and attractive covered terrace, comfortably furnished.
Amenities: 40" flat-screen satellite TV, stereo with iPod dock, computer with DSL Internet access.
The apartment is best for either two couples or a family of five or more. It can hold 3 couples, but the bedrooms are not equal and one couple would have to sleep in the study and utilize the powder room and then share one of the other en suite bathrooms for showering. Not ideal, but possible. There are air conditioning
units in the master bedroom, the second bedroom and the dining room, which can
cool the entire apartment.