This elegant apartment in the heart of Florence overlooks the Arno and is just one block downstream from the Excelsior and Grand Hotels. From here, it's just a 5-10 minute walk to the Uffizi, the Duomo, Santa Maria Novella and the city's main attractions. Just behind the apartment is the Borg'Ognissanti, one of Florence's most elegant shopping streets for antiques, leather and linens. The main city park, the Cascine, with tennis courts and swimming pools,
is ten minutes away. Many of Florence's celebrated restaurants are
right in the neighborhood, and if you want to cook at home you have a full modern kitchen and wonderful butchers, bakeries, fruit and vegetable vendors, fishmonger nearby. The main city food market at San Lorenzo is ten minutes away on foot.
The apartment is located on the second floor
of a 19th century palazzo in the classical Florentine style. (An unsubstantiated
legend has it that the palazzo was built by the maharaja of Kolhapur, who visited Florence and died there around 1870.) The building has an elevator. Views include the "Oltrarno" area of the city, where the Pitti Palace is located, as well as Brunelleschi's Santo
Spirito, and beyond, the Belvedere Fortress and the Bellosguardo
hill, dotted with ancient villas with olive groves, vineyards, and 600-year-old cypresses. To the left, you can see the palaces lining
the Arno and the Ponte Vecchio.
apartment has more than 2,000 square feet of living space all on the same floor, which is unusual in Florence. On the river side of the apartment are three large rooms (living room, dining room and study) which wonderful views of the Arno and Ponte Vecchio. Rooms have high ceilings, elegant moldings and period furniture. The bedrooms on the other side of the apartment (away from the river) are on the quiet side of the building.) There is also a spacious terrace on the quiet side.
- Foyer (18 x 10 ft) with desk, large armoire
- Guest half bathroom with sink and toilet, recently added
- Living room with queen-size sofabed and ornate decorative (non-functional) fireplace
- Dining room with decorative fireplace and table (seats 8)
- Study with smaller comfortable day bed.
- Kitchen with small table (seats 4), dishwasher, washing machine
- Master bedroom (17 x 16 ft) with queen-size bed; faces an interior courtyard that does not have a view but provides air and light.
- En suite large master bathroom (8 x 17 ft; shower over tub)
- Second bedroom (11 x 10 ft) with double bed; opens onto the covered terrace in back of the apartment
- New bathroom with shower en suite with the second bedroom
- Extra small bedroom (7 x 17 ft) off the master bedroom with a single bed and a shuttered doorway leading to the covered terrace. Note that this bedroom can only be accessed through one of the other bedrooms because it has no hall access.
- Large, attractive covered terrace, comfortably furnished
Amenities: 40" flat-screen satellite TV, stereo with iPod dock, computer with DSL Internet access
The apartment is best for either two couples or a family of five or more. There are effective air-conditioning
units in the master bedroom, the second bedroom and the dining room, which can
cool the entire apartment. A marvelous English-speaking key holder will greet you and be available during your stay for any problems or questions. A stay here is comfortable and authentically Florentine.