La Novellina is a wonderfully renovated farmhouse built around a cental 11th-century tower and located halfway between Florence and Siena, overlooking the Chianti hills. This typical Tuscan house has been completely and respectfully restored. Original materials have been reused wherever possible, resulting in a delightful combination of tradition, authenticity, elegance and comfort — with an unbelievable view that stretches as far as the towers of San Gimignano. Surrounded by vineyards, olive groves and cypress trees, La Novellina is part of a sixty-nine acre estate producing extra virgin olive oil.
The little village of Fiano is just a mile away, with a couple of very nice restaurants, and can be reached on foot (over the fields) or in just a few minutes by car. Grocery stores, gas stations, bakeries, post office, bus stop and other services are located three miles away in Tavarnelle Val di Pesa. The autostrada linking Siena with Florence is just 15 minutes away, and the ferry to Corsica and Sardinia (65 miles) are within driving distance. The free parking lot in Scandicci for the new tram with shuttle service in and out of Florence is about 20 minutes from La Novellina, or you can take a bus to Florence from Tavarnelle. Within the radius of a few miles, you can find Estruscan tombs, medieval cities, 14th-century castles, and Baroque churches. Or you can just relax at home and enjoy the beautiful panoramic view.
Housekeeping (2 hrs/day) is included, as well as your first night's dinner and basic grocery shopping. For 2014, rates will also include daily breakfast service (Mon.-Fri.) and a Tuscan meal on Tuesday nights.
The keyholder is fluent in English and will greet you when you arrive. She is also a great cook and offers cooking classes and cook service. Upon request, she can offer a personalized concierge service to book tours, tickets, restaurant reservations, and help with your daily planning.
The Italian-speaking mother
of the owner lives on the estate. She is on hand to help you with any problems
that may arise but will be careful not to intrude on your privacy.
La Novellina is built on three floors (3,250 sq ft):
- Small entrance hall
- Large eat-in kitchen built on two levels, with a huge wood-burning pizza oven, stone sink, modern sink, dishwasher, clothes washer & dryer
- 1 double (king) bedroom, en suite bathroom with tub (3 steps up from the main level)
kitchen and the ground floor bedroom can be accessed from the exterior of the
villa (avoiding the steps for guests with walking problems), but please be aware
that there are a few steps here and there throughout the ground floor.
- Central hallway
- Large living and dining room with fireplace and covered balcony
- 1 double (king) bedroom, en suite bathroom (shower & tub)
- 1 bedroom with twin beds (cannot be joined as they are located on opposite walls, with a door between them)
- 1 single bedroom
- 1 bathroom with shower
- 1 double bedroom (bed size is between queen and king), en suite bathroom with shower; access to this bedroom is lower than usual, so watch your head going up the stairs!
is the loggia for dining al fresco, a swimming pool (11 meters x 5 meters),
and a bathroom with shower whose entrance is outside the kitchen (especially useful
during the pool season).
Amenities: air-conditioned bedrooms, window screens, washer & dryer, Wifi internet access, large refrigerator with icemaker, gas BBQ, satellite TV, telephone for local calls
- Nearest village (Fiano): 1km/0.6mi
- Florence: 28km/16mi
- Siena:38km/ 27mi
- San Gimignano: 25km/14mi
- Pisa: 82km/51mi
- Lucca: 105km/67mi
- Services (grocery store, gas station, bus stop, etc): 3mi (Tavarnelle Val di Pesa)
- Nearest airports: Florence (25mi), Pisa (42mi)