Viterbo, northern Lazio
Sleeps up to 17+2: Main Villa sleeps 10+1 in 6 bedrooms/4.5 bathrooms; Guest House sleeps 6+2 in 3 bedrooms/3 bathrooms, with pool, beautiful garden on 15 acres, chapel — great for weddings — Julia Roberts stayed here!
Map | Daytrip
Ideas | View
More Photos: Main Villa | Guest House | Grounds
Villa d'Oro is set in the quiet green countryside of northern Lazio. This 16th century villa has been home to members of the present owners' family for over three hundred years. More recently, Julia Roberts spent a month at Villa d'Oro while filming "Eat Pray Love." Originally a country farmhouse, the villa has been restored to a high level of elegance while respecting the original structure and materials. Now it is a graceful and welcoming home.
Villa d'Oro lies in the heart of the Viterbo countryside, just an hour's drive from Rome; there is also direct rail service. A wealth of daytrip possibilities is within half an hour by car, including San Martin al Cimino and the old city of Viterbo, both just one kilometer from the villa. Discover Villa Farnese and the unique gardens of the Villa Lante. Children will be delighted by the extraordinary Parco dei Mostri (Park of Monsters) in nearby Bomarzo. Explore Etruscan tombs or visit vineyards and wineries. The towns of southern Tuscany and Umbria are accessible; Siena and Assisi are 80 kilometers (50 miles) away. Orvieto is a thirty minute drive, and the nearest shops and conveniences can be found just two kilometers away in San Martino.
Follow the private drive through the villa's picturesque grounds, planted with olive and lemon trees. Surrounding the house is a beautiful garden, and nearby, on a grassy terrace, is an "infinity" pool with a panoramic view over the hills of Lazio.
The main villa sleeps 10+1. For larger groups, there are additional rooms in the adjacent Casale, which has been recently renovated and can be rented to sleep 6-8 additional guests.
VILLA (sleeps 10+1)
Lower ground floor:
- Large dining room
- Large and well-equipped kitchen with fireplace, dishwasher, microwave
- Well equipped wine cellar
- Guest bathroom
Ground floor: (sleeps 2)
- 2 grand hallways
- TV room with fireplace leading to pergola
- Billiard room
- Two large sitting rooms, one with fireplace
- Study leading out to terrace furnished for outdoor dining
- 1 double bedroom, en suite bathroom with shower
Second floor: (sleeps 8+1)
- 1 double bedroom with sitting room and large bathroom with jacuzzi tub and separate shower
- 1 double bedroom
- 1 bedroom with French bed (larger than a twin, smaller than a double; for 1 adult or 2 children)
- 1 bathroom with shower
- 1 double bedroom
- 1 twin bedroom
- 1 bathroom with tub and shower
GUEST HOUSE: (sleeps 6+2)
- 2 double bedrooms, each with a mezzanine with an additional single bed; en suite bathrooms with showers
- 1 twin bedroom; en suite bathroom
Grounds: Seven hectares (20 acres) of olive groves surround extensive lawns. Swimming pool (7 x 14 meters; 23 x 46 feet) is set about 65 feet from the house, with an outdoor shower. There is a private chapel on the grounds.
Amenities: washing machine, satellite TV with DVD, telephone, ADSL internet connection.