One of the most beautiful villas
on Lake Como, Villa Giorgio was once the residence of the famous composer, Vincenzo Bellini, and is considered something of a national monument for Italy. The location (3 km north of Cernobbio, between the famous Villa D'Este hotel and the villa owned by actor George Clooney) is within walking distance of a variety of shops and restaurants. The closest train station is in Como, just 10 minutes away; you can be in Milan or cross the border to Lugano, Switzerland, in just 30 minutes.
The Villa Giorgio estate consists of a main villa and a guesthouse, which is located in a completely separate area and is totally independent from the main villa. The two can not be rented together, since the owner lives in one and moves to the other when it is rented.
Villa Giorgio is filled with beautiful paintings, sculptures, tapestries, and Venetian chandeliers. Ceilings are ornately decorated and painted, and the floors are a mixture of traditional cotto and antique wood. There are two pianos in the villa. One is a restored antique Bleuthner that once sat in the Leipzig Concert Hall. It now sits in the Music Room, with its 30-foot high ceilings, frescoes, and magnificent lake views. The other piano is a player piano that plays jazz, modern, and classical music for lazy nights when no one feels like playing.
Villa Giorgio is child
friendly, with an outdoor play area next to the kitchen with a wooden slide,
swing set, and rope climb, as well as two playrooms inside the villa.
The villa gardens are considered among the most historic and beautiful on Lake Como. Enjoy fresh flowers from the Cutting and Rose Gardens or fruits and vegetables from the Vegetable Garden and Orchard during your stay. The large swimming pool, shared with the owner,
has unobstructed views of Lake Como. A 12th-century belltower overlooks the pool,
and the spectacular pool terrace is filled with lemon and olive trees. There is also beautiful 200 year-old greenhouse on the terrace, as well as a fountain (one of 11 on the property) that can be illuminated at night.
For those who prefer swimming in the lake,
Villa Giorgio has its own swimming dock, encased in antique stone and filled with roses, jasmine, and oleander. Two boats are available for rent (a 32' mahoghany hand-crafted boat ideal for long lake cruises, and a 19' boat for water skiing, fishing, and village hopping). Bicycles and tennis rackets are also available.
The villa (30,000 sq ft.) is built on three floors.
- Large entry room with marble stair
- Formal dining room with 16 marble columns. The most important fresco in the villa sits above the dining room table.
- The Tuscan dining room is more casual and filled with period Tuscany furniture. Separate sitting area with marble fireplace and TV.
- Two beautiful fully equipped professional kitchens with subzero refrigerators and wine coolers, Viking and Gaggeneau ovens, grills and ranges, 4 disposals, 2 dishwashers, a vegetable and fish steamer and a fryer. Countertops are Verona marble, with richly decorated, hand-carved wooden cabinetry. Two 8-foot hight stone fireplaces are original to the villa and bear the family emblem.
- Billiard room with hand-carved English Snooker table
- Cinema with large screen and cinema quality sound system, fireplae and mahogany bar
- Pizzaria room with a massive fireplace and antique brick pizza and foccaccia oven, original to the villa
- Wine room
- Study room with telephone, fax, Internet access and computer facilities, satellite TV
A splendid marble staircase leads to the second floor (sleeps 6):
- Large frescoed living room with piano
- Fitness room
- Suite Laura (sleeps 2; 1,418 sq ft): bedroom (612 sq ft) with king bed (180cm), marble fireplace, bathroom (648 sq ft) with shower and separate tub with handheld shower, delicate ladies' powder room (158 sq ft). Views of Lake Como.
- Suite Nonna (sleeps 2; 1,026 sq ft): sitting room (378 sq ft), bedroom (432 sq ft) with king bed (180cm), bathroom (216 sq ft) with steel English tub with handheld shower. View of the lake and swimming pool.
- Suite Camilla (sleeps 2; 943 sq ft): bedroom (643 sq ft) with four poster king bed (180cm), bathroom (300 sq ft) with tub and separsate glass-enclosed shower. Views of mountains and Moltrasio.
Third floor (sleeps 13):
- Bisbino Suite (sleeps 3; 839 sq ft): 2 bedrooms (one with four posted king bed and the other with 1 twin bed), 1 bathroom with anqitue tub. This suite faces the mountains and the village.
- Sant'Agata Suite (sleeps 4; 2,592 sq ft): 2 sitting rooms, 3 bedrooms, (one with 2 twin beds, two with 1 twin bed), sauna, 1 bathroom with steam shower and separate tub with handheld shower. Views of the lake and swimming pool.
- Bellini Suite (sleeps 2; 1,224 sq ft): large bedroom (576 sq ft) with king bed (180cm), bathroom (648 sq ft) with Lombardy cotto floors, Siena marble tops, shower and large jacuzzi tub. Views of the lake.
- Norma Suite (sleeps 2; 837 sq ft): bedroom with antique brass bed (king; 180cm), bathroom with Philip Starck tub with handheld shower. Views of the lake.
- Sonnanbula Suite (sleeps 2; 1,578 sq ft): sitting room with marble fireplace and antique writing desk, bedroom with king bed (180cm), bathroom with Philip Starck designer tub. The bedroom has views of the mountains and the village of Moltrasio and the bathroom has fabulous views of Lake Como.
Prices on request; please inquire.