Have you ever dreamed of living in a turreted castle surrounded by a moat? Schloss Sommersdorf is a small, breathtakingly beautiful fourteenth-century castle located in Bavaria, between Frankfurt and Munich, on the Romantic Road, near where it crosses the Castle Road. The courtyard blooms with roses in spring and summer, and the moat and surrounding ponds are inhabited by ducks, swans and herons. The castle has been completely and carefully renovated into elegant and comfortable apartments, each with its own private entrance. All of the apartrments and rooms are handsomely furnished, mostly with antiques.
The area offers a wealth of recreational options, from canoeing on the Altmuhltal River and bicycling along nearby trails, to horseback riding, tennis, golf, or a swim in the castle’s private pool. Follow the Romantic Road to Rothenburg and Dinkelsbuhl, two remarkably well-preserved medieval towns; or head south to the storybook castles built by Ludwig II at the foot of the Alps. Nuremberg is 30 minutes to the northeast, and just beyond is Bayreuth, where Wagner’s home and theatre are a Mecca for opera buffs. Munich lies to the south, less than two hours away.
The owner lives in the New Castle; his ancestors have maintained the property since the sixteenth century. The Baron will welcome you to his home and will make your stay as pleasant and interesting as possible, as well as give you an unforgettable tour of the castle.
Old Castle: Three apartments are located on the second floor of this wing of the caste.
- GABRIELE is attractive and sunny, with windows on two sides of the living room, and a small modern kitchen, double bedroom and bathroom with shower.
- BIRD is named for its design motif and has a large sitting room overlooking the moat, a modern kitchen, bedroom with queen-sized canopy bed and and bathroom with shower.
- CAROLA is on the southwest corner, affording many lovely views, with a spacious living room, modern kitchen, bedroom with a queen-sized canopy bed and bathroom with shower.
New Castle: The owner's residence is in the New Castle. In addition, there are three suites with bedroom and bath. Although these rooms are without a kitchen, there is a cozy kitchen and dining area for common use.
- BUTTERFLY ROOM has a double bed and bathroom with shower. Located between Gabriele and Bird, it can be added to either apartment to accommodate parties of four.
- GOTHIC ROOM has a double bed and sitting area, bathroom and small refrigerator. Wonderful as a honeymoon suite!
Bohemian House: Three more elegant apartments were recently renovated in the nearby Bohemian House, built in 1750. They are located on the third floor (sorry, no elevator) and are larger than the apartments in the Old Castle.
- JEANETTE: Spacious living/dining room with fireplace and vaulted ceiling, kitchen, bedroom with joinable twin beds, bathroom with shower. Doors open onto the garden.
- JULIE: Living/dining room, kitchen, bedroom with double bed plus single, bathroom with shower. This apartment has a lovely view over the castle.
- EMILY: Living room with fireplace, kitchen, double bedroom, bathroom with shower.
Amenities: satellite TV, VCR, CD player/radio, telephone, hair dryer, simple but well-equipped kitchen with microwave and dishwasher.
Prices on request; please inquire.